Hot Chocolate by Dawn Greenfield Ireland



Hot Chocolate by Dawn Greenfield Ireland

Format: Kindle Edition File Size: 441 KB
Print Length: 234 pages
Simultaneous Device Usage: Unlimited Publisher: Artistic Origins (October 20, 2011) 



Meet the middle-aged Alcott sisters: Madge, Lila Mae and Dorothea, heiresses to the Alcott Chocolate fortune and mavens of Houston’s elite River Oaks. 

 Madge ambushes Lila Mae with Dorothea’s manipulative plea: she can’t care for Bernie, their 92-year old father, any longer. Lila Mae explodes in a hissy fit—she had warned Dorothea years ago that they should put Bernie in an assisted living center. Robert, Lila Mae’s astrologer, warns of impending problems and he’s rarely wrong. 

The sisters call a meeting with Walter Branson, their solicitor. They discuss Bernie’s nurse Bambi Chaline, a blonde bombshell who looks more like a hooker than a nurse.  Arrangements are made for Bernie to be transferred over to Lake Sides Assisted Living Center in the Uptown Galleria area and a severance package is drawn up for Bambi. 

Jimmy Ray Chaline, Bambi’s bowling alley husband, is enraged that Bambi was let go. He hires ambulance chaser Mark Slade to file a lawsuit for wrongful termination.  The suit is thrown out of court further fueling Jimmy Ray’s rage. Bambi had been more than satisfied with her bonus, letters of recommendation and praise from the Alcott clan. 

When Jimmy Ray fails to return home from the bowling alley that night, a series of events unfold that shocks the entire Alcott family and their extended members.

This was the most fun I've had reading a book in a very long time. The characters were all a little peculiar, even the ones that played minor roles. This made for quite a lot of LOL moments!

I loved the three sisters from the start. It took a while for me to feel for Bambi, but the more I read about her the more I liked her. My favorite character though, would have to be Uncle Tito. What a character he is!!!

If you're ever in the mood for a light funny read that will keep you guessing who dunnit, this book is perfect. And no, I didn't figure it out. The killer was a complete shock!

The only downside to the book in my opinion is that it ended too abruptly. I was left wanting more from these lovable characters. Hopefully Ms. Ireland will give us more...

Oh, and there's lots of food and drink talk in this book, with some of the recipes in the back.

Here's a sample:



Cafe' Mocha
This delightful beverage is perfect anytime of the year. 
The author drinks this concoction every morning.

2 1/2 heaping tsp. Whole Foods 365 Organic Hot Cocoa Mix

1/2 - 1 tsp. instant coffee or 1/4 cup prepared coffee
1 tbsp. marshmallow cream
1 coffee cup
boiling water

Add cocoa mix to the cup.
Add instant coffee or prepared hot coffee.
Heat water to boiling.
Fill cup with desired amount of water.
Add marshmallow cream.

Lick spoon repeatedly until there's no trace of marshmallow cream.

14 comments:

Caitlin Martin said...

That does sound fun!

I'm not big on marshmallow creme, but putting a spoonful of Ghiradelli's double chocolate powder makes things quite decadent.

Thanks for stopping by my blog.

Irene said...

Sounds absolutely yummy. thanks for sharing your views.

readramble said...

Houston is my hometown, and although cozies are not my usual fare, it would be fun to read a light mystery set there. The echoes of Louisa May Alcott and her father Bronson are also charming.

Marshmallow cream every morning? Never heard that one before. Good grief. She must have some metabolism. I'm jealous.

Karen White said...

This does sound fun!

Joy Weese Moll said...

Sounds like a hoot! Fun recipe, too.

Heather @ girlichef.com said...

This sounds like one I'd love. I'm off to see if my library has it listed. Thanks :)

Yvonne said...

I have this one coming up and it looks so good!

Carol @ Always Thyme to Cook said...

Sounds like a fun read. And the Cafe Mocha looks like a great way to start the day.

Lisa@ButteryBooks said...

Sounds like a great book and a very delicious recipe!

Margot said...

What a great recommendation for this book. I'm going to have to find it.

Sheila (Bookjourney) said...

Oh my gosh this does sounds like a fun read!!! I wonder if they have it for NOOK?

Heather said...

I'm looking forward to reading this book. I hadn't thought to use marshmallow cream in my hot chocolate. cool.

Beth F said...

This sounds like my kind of book. And I love it that the mystery was hard to figure out. And chocolate? How can that be a bad thing?

Dawn @ sheIsTooFondOfBooks said...

Hot chocolate with a splash of coffee is a great combo. And I like that "lick the spoon until there's no trace of marshmallow" instruction :)