Weekend Cooking

Grilled Chipotle Sweet Potatoes


Ingredients:
4 sweet potatoes
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon chipotle chile powder
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup olive oil

Directions:
Preheat an outdoor grill for medium heat, and lightly oil the grate.
Cook potatoes on High heat in a microwave oven until softened slightly, about 10 minutes. Cut potatoes lengthwise into 1/2-inch thick sticks.
Combine salt, cumin, paprika, cinnamon, chipotle powder, vinegar, and olive oil in a large container with a tight-fitting lid. Place sweet potatoes in spice mixture; cover and shake gently until well coated.
Grill over low to medium heat, turning often and basting with any leftover sauce. Cook until sweet potatoes are fork-tender, 10 to 15 minutes.

Weekend Cooking is hosted @ Beth Fish Reads

17 comments:

Margot said...

Mmm - those look so good. I've never had grilled sweet potatoes. Time to try something new.

Heather said...

This sounds fantastic! Just this year I tried putting something "spicy" in my sweet potatoes and I'm afraid I can never go back. The heat complements the potato so well! Yum!

Anglers Rest said...

Sounds delicious!

Nan said...

I don't care for sweet potatoes, but I'd bet the recipe would be good with regular potatoes, too!

JP said...

Yum! I'm trying to teach myself to like sweet potatoes, and I've done okay with sweet potato fries with chipotle powder baked in the oven. This recipe sounds like it would spruce up my simple fries quite a bit!

TheBookGirl said...

I like grilled veggies of all kinds, and love roasted sweet potatoes, so I'm sure I would like these, though i would have to make them very mildly seasoned. My stomach can't take much heat :)

Yvonne said...

This sounds really delicious.

fiction-books said...

Hi Vicki,

I love spicy food, so this sounds delicious and so easy to do.

We don't tend to be able to get sweet potatoes very readily, here in the UK, so I may have to try it with ordinary potatoes.

Yvonne

Beth F said...

I adore sweet potatoes! I've made something similar in the oven but I love the idea of doing them on the grill. The trick of microwaving first is great -- not only would it help the spices stick better but it means less time over the hot grill. Yum.

Col (Col Reads) said...

Spicy/sweet is one of my favorite combinations! I can't wait to try these. Thanks!

Dawn @ sheIsTooFondOfBooks said...

what a great combination of flavors - I'll be trying this one!

Heather @ Book Addiction said...

Ooh, sounds delicious! I love sweet potatoes but have never thought of grilling them. Usually I eat them with butter and sometimes brown sugar, so a spicier way to make them is definitely something I'd like to try. Thanks for the recipe!

Rose City Reader said...

Yum! What a great idea!

Rose City Reader

Joy Weese Moll said...

That sounds wonderful. And just in time -- we'll start getting sweet potatoes in the CSA box soon and then for weeks on end!

Wall-to-wall books said...

Yum, yum and YUM!

K said...

Yay! I have a new sweet potato recipe bookmarked now from you! Thank you. These look so great :) I can't wait to make them.

Heather said...

This sounds wonderful. yum